Thursday, 10 January 2013

Western Fairy Tales in Manga – a series of blog posts by Sally Poyton

Sally's manga version of herself.

One of the reasons I started this blog was in the hope that it would inspire others to send me information that I had not come across before. After I posted on this subject on Facebook, Sally Poyton left a comment about her love of shōjo manga and the influence on it of western fairytales.

It is probably fair to say that most of us have had some experience of manga – it has become hugely popular in the West in recent years and has a long history in Japan. I am more familiar with anime. When I was growing up in Australia children’s television was full of Japanese cartoons such as Astro Boy and the 2008 movie Ponyo was a recent reminder of the charm of this style of animation.

However, my experience of manga books is embarrassingly lacking. I have read the terrifying manga adaptation of Koji Suzuki's novel The Ring and a few other Japanese manga books but this is a poor effort when you consider the range and diversity of manga books available.

I’ll be looking for the shōjo manga titles Sally mentions on her blog and reading her posts on this subject in the future. I am also going to trawl my local library for books in other manga genres. Thanks, Sally, for the nudge in manga's direction.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda,

    Hope you find some good Shojo Manga in the library.

    For anyone new to Manga and who is 13+ I'd recommend; 'Fruits Basket'' by Natsuki Takaya, which is the best Shojo Manga in the west. Also if you're worried about content look at the back of the book, as most Manga Novels have icons telling you what genre and crucially what age it’s suitable for i.e. 6-8 years, 13+, 18+, this way you won’t get more than you bargained for!

    ReplyDelete