Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Laydeez do Comics – forums about Graphic Novels and Comics

The Laydeez behind this group are Sarah Lightman and Nicola Streeten. This is how they describe it: "a unique graphic novel forum with a focus on comic works based on life narrative, the drama of the domestic and the everyday". There are Laydeez forums that meet up in London, Chicago, San Francisco and Leeds - see their website for details http://laydeezdocomics.com

I've been hearing about their London meet-ups for quite a long time but my first experience of the group was last Monday. Visit the Laydeez website for more detail about what happened that night (I believe that there was a guest blogger recording it) and I am going to talk about the speakers - John Miers, David Jesus Vignolli and Dr Muna Al-Jawad - in future posts. But one thing I will mention here is that you don't have to be a lady to go, there were a lot of men at the meeting I went to. Although there is an emphasis, from what I understand, on autobiographical work, anyone with an interest in graphic novels and comics is made very welcome.

If you are thinking of going to one of the London meetings don't forget to book. They are free but fill up quickly, mine was a last minute decision to go and I was only able to do this because of a begging email and a cancellation.

No comments:

Post a Comment